Who We Are

 Crossroads Fellowship Church(formerly known as The Reformed Church of Willow Grove) was formally organized in Jan 1810 on Crown Street above Race Street, as “The Evangelical Reformed Congregation of the City and Vicinity of Philadelphia.” The church joined the RCA in May 1813 and took the title “First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the City and Vicinity of Philadelphia.”

           The church moved several times, finally moving to current location in 1957. In 1957, a call was extended to Rev. Dr. Leonard Kalkwarf, who led the church until his retirement in 1991. During his tenure church membership grew from 29 to a peak of 414. After Pastor Kalkwarf’s departure, the church went through a period of discovery and self-examination before extending a call to Rev. Harold Delhagen in 1993.  In 1995, Rev. Harold Delhagen accepted a call to another church.  Under the leadership of Interim Minister Robert Eggebeen, the church went through another period of self-examination and resolved several issues leading to a call to Rev. Ronald Lokhorst in 1997. Under Rev. Lokhorst’s leadership, the church started several programs focusing on prayer, bible study, and community outreach.

Upon Rev. Lokhorst’s retirement in 2002, a call was issued to Rev. Dr. Eugene Voss who helped establish several community outreach programs.  In 2009 a cooperative ministry with Rev. Dr. Arlen Salthouse and a senior seminarian, Christopher Heitkamp was established. Following Christopher Heitkamp’s ordination and the end of Rev. Salthouse’s contract, a call was issued to Pastor Chris in September of 2010. On November 7, 2010, he has worked to regain our church’s identity in the community through guiding us in a renaming/branding of our church and mission statement and leading us in developing new ways to be significant in our neighborhood.

      Our church is a member of The Reformed Church in America, Delaware-Raritan Classis, which was originally known as the Dutch Reformed Church. It made its appearance in this country in 1628, thus making it the oldest continuous Protestant church in America. Well known ministers in our denomination include the late Norman Vincent Peale and Robert Schuller. We belong to that worldwide family of churches that are Reformed in faith and Presbyterian in their form of government. Our local congregation is administered by a consistory made up of elders and deacons elected by the church members.

For information on our denomination, we invite you to visit the Reformed Church in America web site.